Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sharing The Journey

by goon girl (just another mom rising to the occasion)
When my youngest was 6 months old, I discovered he was allergic to eggs. The poor child had been riddled with rashes that the doctor had diagnosed as eczema. He would constantly scratch his cheeks that looked just plain painful. Had I known that he was having a reaction to my breast milk, I would have gladly modified my diet! After eliminating eggs from his diet, the rashes were down to a manageable low. Every bath was followed by creams and lotions, but clear skin did not appear to be in the cards.

After two trips to the ER with severe allergic reactions, I finally decided to get him tested to find out what other allergens we were dealing with. His dad is allergic to nuts, and so I have never let my kids have them. Thank God for that! As it turns out, my kiddo is very allergic to egg whites & peanuts, and also allergic to wheat! Armed with that knowledge we have modified his diet. His skin is perfect! We also now carry antihistamine and an Epi-Pen Jr. where ever we go.

Over the years, I have labored to make all the goodies that most kids get (i.e. birthday cake, doughnuts) without the eggs. Discovering the wheat allergy has just made the task more challenging. This is not something I am an expert at. Food allergies can not be cured, but they can be worked around. My goal is to continue the challenge of feeding my kids, and keeping 'em out of the ER in the process! Please chime in; share your tips. I look forward to the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment